Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Marlow dresses



You might think that I am participating in the 40 days of blogging movement, because I am again showing you a new release. Today, Jilly Atlanta's new Marlow is the in spot light. During testing I sewed two versions, a simple version and an all-in version with ruffles and sequins! My daughter likes both, but of course the shinny one really stole her heart.



The Marlow pattern has two dress lengths, vintage and knee length. I went twice for knee length, because this way I get more live out of the dress. She will keep wearing these until it becomes vintage length (or shorter) for sure. The dress is designed for playability and comfort so it has a wide waist. This way it is also easy to get on and off you daughter. You can sew short or long sleeves and there s a possible sleeve ruffle for the short sleeves.




Both dresses were made with fabrics that I took from the "free pop-up shop" that we had on our sewing weekend. The brown orange one is from Hanne and the white with trees is from Katrien. Neither one of the original projects were blogged, so I can not tell you more about these fabrics, besides the fact that the pink tree one a Michael Miller one is. The sequins were a left over from when I upcycled this dress. The strip was too narrow for the front, so I sewed the front and back pieces together (by hand). The ruffles were a left over from when I made this dress. The V can be sewn with the included ruffles, but you can also use piping or just go for a color block.




The pocket on the basic version is a lovely detail. It is such a smart idea! I really love the fact that it is reversible and therefore easily gives a different look to the dress. The instructions will have you sew two button loops and attach the pocket on two buttons. I went a different way and actually used one side of snaps to attach the pocket. In my version the pocket can not be removed, but this is not a problem for me, this way it can not get lost neither. I added side seam pockets to the sequin dress. These are not included in the pattern.



The Jilly Atlanta patterns have a beautiful finish. With the sequin version the sequins are totally encased on the inside of the dress within the V. No itchy seams there. I did have to cut away several sequins after sewing them, to be able to fold the seams. The effect of the sequins is great, but unpicking them is really horrible. The pattern includes the instructions to make French seams (not for the armholes) and the neckline has bias finish on the inside. I chose to sew some french seams, but not all.



For just a few more hours the pattern is available for just 5 dollars (excluding VAT).


4 comments:

  1. Prachtige jurken weeral! Ik begin me ook echt af te vragen hoeveel kinderen jij kan kleden met al die prachtcreaties :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, wat dat betreft kan ik nog wel wat kinderen in huis nemen inderdaad, maar ja dan heb ik weer geen naaitijd meer ;)

      Delete
  2. Hele leuke jurkjes! Mooi ook dat het een los model is zonder dat het bij de schouders ook direct oversized is. Want dat laatste staat me altijd wat tegen bij de losse modellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, inderdaad voornamelijk gewoon niet getailleerd.

      Delete