Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Arctic Racer release



I know, I know, it is still winter in the Netherlands, but I am dreaming of better weather. Two weeks ago, I already showed you this summer dress, today I am showing three more summer items. Yesterday, the Arctic Racer was released by Harristar designs, and today I am showing you the three versions I sewed up during testing.




I recently came across Harristar designs when I was searching for extra inspiration for clothes made out of jersey scraps. I have a lot of those, and although I have some awesome patterns for scraps (like this one), I can always use some more. I therefore bought the Dimo pack from Harristar, joined their Facebook group and saw the tester call they posted a few hours earlier.  If you are considering buying one of Harristars patterns (and you should), I advice you to first join the Facebook group though, the Harristar Gazer pattern is free for member of that group!



Harristar designs are packed with options and the new Arctic Racer totally fits the bunch. With the pattern you can make a tank (two types of bottom hems), a tunic, a normal dress (flared or more A line), a rushed dress and a maternity dress. The dress even comes with pockets, those were added later in game, after I sewed all my three versions, on my next one I will use them for sure. Amber, the designer was cool with us testers hacking a bit, so my first dress, was a one sided rushed version. I wrote a tutorial for you, if you would be interested in making something similar.



All options are sewn up very fast. All hems are just folded over and sewn down. I still do not own a coverstitch, but it worked fine with my general sewing machine as well. I actually hemmed with the inside of the garment on top, this way I always caught the fabric perfectly, and my bobbin stitch looks decent enough on the outside of fabric. I do advice to use a good quality knit for these projects. Making such an easy hem is perfect for good recovery knits, but flimsy ones easily overstretch. A flimsy fabric might also create some trouble if you make the dress. The weight of the dress might pull you shoulder straps down.



I made the top from the same fabric that I used for these trousers. The one sided rushed version's fabric is from Joyfits. The flower fabric has been in my stash for over two years. I bought it when a web shop went out of business and I could not bring myself to cut it. It is so beautiful, that it surely was going to me something for me. After making the rushed version and seeing other tester pictures, I knew this pattern would be a match made in heaven, and I was right.



Due to the release there is a 35% discount on your entire purchase for today with the code ArcticRacer35 (usable once per email address). You can find the Harristar web shop here.

8 comments:

  1. Wow jouw zomer garderobe is al goed voorzien. Leuke jurken, staan je goed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gezien het gapende gat dat ik vorig jaar ondervond in mijn kast, was het ook hard nodig ;)

      Delete
  2. Love this style of top. Your versions are all so bright too! Can't wait for summer here in the UK too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wat een leuk model! :) Ik vrees alleen wat voor de behabandjes met zo'n racerback :)

    ReplyDelete