Like with the coat, there are 14 animals described, but the possibilities are endless. I started with a kitty cape for my youngest. I made it with leftovers from when I made my eldest her coat (see, why I now really have to show you the coat at the end). The lining is Soft Cactus, the same as in this skirt. With permission I immediately hacked the cape pattern.
Instead of having pockets on the inside, I created an inverse kind a pocket (sorry, best description I could some up with). The little paws that hang on the front are a functioning pockets that you can be reached from the inside (where the hands are). I thought it would be a fun detail that she could put her hands in it like little paws as well. My daughter thought so too, instead of a fun option, she insists on wearing the coat with her hands in the pockets. She even tries to crawl in it like this. The main cape option is a button loop closure. I added two small tabs such that I could use snaps.
I made my four year old a horse cape. I became jealous seeing all the gorgeous manes on the Wild Things coat and wanted our own. I used three different yarns and went for a full mane, a very full mane, an eye catcher for sure (and a bit on the heavy side). I went for a different front closure, which is (shortly) mentioned in the instructions. This way the entire front overlaps making my girl better protected against the wind. I totally went crazy with my snap placement on this one. I love those flowers.
I made a horse cape because that animal was missing in the examples, but this horse will probably be turned into a unicorn. The coat pattern came with adorable draw-your-own-coat cut and coloring pages ( as does the cape pattern) and ever since both my girls cut and glued a set of unicorn coats, I have been wanting to sew that horn. No picture, but it succeeded beautifully, much easier than I expected. I just have to sew it on, but those last details...
The fabric is the same fabric as this coat, I am still not sure if I would call it red or raspberry. In combination with the pink manes which of the two is not important any more. My middle daughter also wanted claws, like her little sister, but I felt that a horse/unicorn hooves where not as suitable to be turned into reversed pockets.
To make this picture heavy post even more packed, I now show you the bunny coat I sewed a few weeks ago. Both the shell and lining where bought at Textielstad. The store is relatively close by, so I actually went there to look at suitable coat fabrics (usually I buy all my fabrics on the web). I did not have plans to combine this jersey and wool, but when the nice store lady stacked them on each other to put them in a bag, I saw how well they matched.
I again tried something else with the pockets. I went for bunny paws, and used the same method as the other two coats. I cut the jersey pattern pieces a bit smaller than the wool ones, to avoid a hanging lining. In the end it turned out I kind a cut the lining a bit too small. SO all pieces are a bit curved inwards. My daughter does not mind though, she loves the coat. It is a bit cold though still. The tail is detachable with a snap.
The cape comes in three lengths and with a huge size range. Teenagers and not too tall grown-ups can wear the biggest size. The pattern is on sale for two days for 7 USD excluding taxes. Check out the web shop here. If you already own the cape you can buy an upgrade for 5 USD. During the release only, it is possible to use the extension to extend the Wild Things Coat with the Wild Things cape.
I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).