Let's start with the headpiece, the entire thing is one piece. I drew a circle the size of the hood's opening and drew the spikes and ears all connected to each other. I was considering using some interfacing, but I decided against it. It does not stand up as much as I planned, but this does not bother me as much as I expected, if I would do it again I am still not sure if I would use interfacing.
I was in a hurry while sewing this coat, so instead of taking individual spikes for the back I simply drew a line of spikes. On the pictures you see the coat is wrinkled, but seeing that it is felt (although it is washable) I did not dare to steam iron it. Over the last two weeks the wrinkles have disappeared totally. I bought the washable felt at Textielstad, it was very nice to work with is soft to the touch and warm.
The tail is detachable with a single snap. I top stitched the tail to add some extra details. It is relatively small compared to the coat, but I did not wanted it to be a safety hazard.
The lining is biological Nicky from Lillestoff which I bought long ago at Joyfits. The combination of the felt and nicky gives a nice warm coat that he can wear now with temperature around zero degrees. Sewing in a stretch lining into a non stretching coat is not the most fun experience, but while using the differential on my serger, I managed.
Last time, I promised you a better pocket picture. On this picture you can see that the pockets are holes with a flap on it. It would be easy to put a zipper on them, but like I said, I was in a hurry. The fabric I used for the pockets is from old trousers from my husband. It is not the best combination with the main fabric, but I needed a thick fabric to cancel out the thick felt, and the pockets are not visible usually.
Today is the last day of sale of this coat. Visit the Big Little Pattern shop and purchase your pattern with a 30% discount for only $8.40 excl VAT (regular price $12).